HSE cards for the cleaning sector

All employees who perform cleaning services in Norway must carry an official ID issued by the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority . These cards are called HSE cards (HMS-kort in Norwegian).

HSE card for cleaning services


Important: Cleaning companies require authorization by the Labour Inspection Authority in order to operate in Norway. Companies must be authorized before they can apply for HSE cards for their employees. Get your cleaning company approved here.

What are HSE cards?

The HSE cards function as ID cards, identifying the employee and their employer. ID cards help prevent illicit work, social dumping, illegal immigration etc.

You must carry a HSE card if you perform cleaning services either on a short-term or long-term basis, or if you operate as an individual contractor in any capacity, including working in the private market.

This requirement also helps cleaning companies, as it makes it harder for untrustworthy businesses to gain a competitive advantage.

You are required to hold one HSE card per employee. If you perform freelance work or operate as a contractor you need to have one HSE card per activity/entity.

HSE cards are issued by IDEMIA on behalf of the Ministry of Labour. Jobbkort AS assists by acquiring and delivering approved HSE cards to businesses and individual contractors in the cleaning sector.

What our clients say about us

Jobbkort.no has assisted Clean Unit Renhold with its registration as a state-approved cleaning company. They also deliver HSE cards to all our employees. We are happy to save both time and effort by relying on the expertise of Jobbkort.no.

Pål Kuhlmann

Pål Kuhlmann

Requirements to obtain HSE cards?

The employers:

  • must be registered with the Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities (Enhetsregisteret)
  • must be registered in the VAT register (Merverdiavgiftsregisteret)

The employees/sole proprietors:

  • must be registered in the National Population Register (Folkeregisteret)
  • must be registered in the NAV State Register of Employers and Employees (Aa-registeret)

If you are a foreign worker, you only need to register with the Central Office for Foreign Tax Affairs (Sentralskattekontoret for utenlandssaker) who will assign a D-number and retain information about your employment.

Important: Jobbkort.no cannot order your card if you fail to register with any of these registers. Even though you have initiated the registration process, it may not have been finalized yet.

Orders that are sent to us before the registrations are completed will experience delays.

Foreign companies that register a unit in Norway (NUF) are required by the Labour Inspection Authority to present contracts for all Norwegian projects they are hired to work on, in order to obtain ID cards for their employees.

The consequences of not having valid HSE cards

The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority (Arbeidstilsynet) is responsible for enforcing the law. They are authorized to issue fines to enterprises and individual contractors who fail to carry HSE cards.

Companies that do not provide HSE cards to their employees will be ordered to obtain these by the Labour Inspection Authority (Arbeidstilsynet), and refusal to supply HSE cards at this stage will lead to suspension of the company’s operations. Serious cases will be reported to the police and could lead to three month’s imprisonment.